Saturday, June 27, 2009

Weeds

Ok...how many of you can relate to this:) lol

I work 40 hours a week, outside of the home (1 hour commute), 2 small children, hobby farm & a husband that works nights.Well, with this busy schedule and all the rain that we are experiencing here in upstate NY, my garden is getting overgrown with weeds. I found that without the hot days to kill my weeds after I till....they just grow right back.

I have looked through the Internet and researched all kinds of organic/green weed prevention methods, and I have decided to try the mulching theory this year. I have taken pictures of what my garden looks like now and I will keep you posted on my efforts.

It will be interesting to see a couple different things:
1.) How well the garden stays weeded
2.) How the mulch (i.e. grass clippings) helps with water retention
3.) How well the mulch tills into the garden and assists with fertilization/quality of earth for next years planting.

Stay tuned for your updates!

I'll try to make them weekly...if not more frequent:) Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment